Happy New Year! New for 2018, MSTW League Manager Add-ons are now available in the MSTW Store.
The MSTW League Manager Add-ons are designed for websites that use MSTW League Manager to maintain league schedules and update game results (not simply to maintain league standings). On such sites, league standings can automatically calculated ‘on the fly’ based on the league games and results every time a page with the standings shortcode is loaded. There is no need to create and maintain team records. This can be a huge time-saver on large sites with multiple leagues. It also eliminates errors (typos) when entering team records. In anticipation of what is soon to be a Frequently Asked Question, YES, YOU CAN STILL USE LEAGUE MANAGER WITH TEAM RECORDS, league schedules and games are not necessary. In fact, you can choose to use the new auto-update feature or the older team records to update standings on a sport-by-sport basis.
In addition, the Add-ons provide four new shortcodes for TEAM sliders, SCHOOL sliders, SPORT sliders, and LEAGUE SCOREBOARDS. Team, School, and Sport tickers and scoreboards are already in development for a future releases, which will be included as part of the plugin’s support. Read more about these features in the MSTW Store and on the MSTW League Manager Add-ons man pages.
The MSTW League Manager 2.0 plugin combined with the MSTW League Manager Add-ons have been in development since May of 2017, and have been running on three large sports sites since September of 2017. So these plugins have been exercised under “real” conditions, and they are probably the best tested MSTW plugins released to date.
Happy New Year! Just in time for 2018, MSTW League Manager 2.0 is available on wordpress.org.
Why the numbering jump from 1.4 to 2.0? The entire plugin was restructured to support the automatic, on-the-fly updates of league standings from the league’s game results. With the introduction of the MSTW League Manager Add-ons, team records no longer need to be created and maintained. Instead records are computed from the standings shortcode is rendered. Of course the plugin can still be configured and used exactly as before for sites that do not maintain game schedules.
In addition, version 2.0 also includes these new and improved features:
- The standings are now sorted based on a primary sort rule and two tie-breakers, which are selected on the Settings screen. AND they actually work!!
- Games can be identified as conference and division, in addition to non-league. Conference and division win percentages and points (calculated from the existing fields in the team records) can be displayed in the standings tables.
- New display options for front end displays have been added, some on the Settings screen and some via shortcode arguments.
- League sliders and tickers can now display media icons and links to media sources when a media link has been provided for a game. Media labels and links can be entered on the Update Games screen, avoiding the need to edit the games one-by-one on the Manage Games screen.
- Game (league schedules) can now be added in bulk via CSV file imports.
- Added /lang directory containing a .POT file has been added for translators. (If you create a translation, send me the .po file and I’ll add it to the next release for you.)
- Fixed several bugs including sorting venues by venue group on the Venues screen.
- Changed URLs to Protocol Relative URLs to prevent some problems with https based sites.