The MSTW Schedules & Scoreboards plugin manages multiple sports team schedules and scoreboards. A variety of shortcodes and widgets are available to display schedule tables, schedule sliders, scoreboards, and countdown timers. An extensive set of display settings is available through the admin screens to customize these displays. Displays may be further customized via the plugin’s stylesheet.
The MSTW Schedules & Scoreboards replaces (MSTW) Game Schedules and Game Locations plugins, which are no longer supported. The biggest change is internal. Schedules, Teams, Games, and Locations (now VENUES) can be moved across sites via CSV files without loss of the links between them. If you have been frustrated by this behavior with a large number of data elements, you will understand. If not, nevermind!
The current version is 1.4. The recent major enhancements and features are:
- Game Status. Data can be entered for games in progress and then displayed in several views.
- Scoreboards. The
[mstw_scoreboard]shortcode supports the display of scoreboards, which can contain results for a single game, or a set of related games. Scoreboards may be displayed in “ticker” or “gallery” format as shown in the following screenshots.
- Single Game Page. A new single game page can be linked to schedule tables and sliders. It can be used as both a countdown timer and a scoreboard, depending on the game status.
- Schedule Sliders. Multiple schedule slider shortcodes can now be added to one page. The schedule name can be added above each game tile, so multiple sports can be displayed and identified on the same slider.
- Show Sport in Schedule Tables and Sliders.The show_sport argument to both shortcodes causes the sport to be displayed for each game. The displayed sport is the sport in the schedule’s “home team’s” record. So if the shortcode schedule ID (slug) is
2015-cal, and the team for that schedule is
California Golden Bears, and that team’s sport is
Football, “Football” will be displayed. The primary application for this feature is a school site that wishes to display a schedule for all the schools sports, as shown in the screenshots below.
- Venues. Game Locations(Venues) are integrated into this plugin. Venues can now be organized into groups, and displayed in groups. E.g., Pac-12 Football Stadiums, MLB Baseball Parks, etc.
- MSTW Integration. In addition to home locations(venues), team rosters, sports, and coaching staffs can now be linked to teams. (There is currently no built-in functions or displays to leverage these links (other than home venues), but they are coming in future plugin releases.
- Access control. Two admin roles are defined – MSTW Admin, which has access to the entire family of MSTW plugin admin screens, and MSTW SS Admin, which has access to the schedules and scoreboards admin screens.
- Admin Features. A few cool new admin UI features, like the ability to access the Media Library directly from the Add/Edit Team screen, which eliminates the need to cut and paste logo URLs, have been provided.
- Refactored code. Improved compliance of WordPress standards (so plugin works on hopefully all WP installs). Increased re-use of utility functions across the MSTW family of plugins. Removal of PhP notices and warnings (non-fatal); as many as I could find anyway. Improved support for WP internationalization (text domain of mstw-schedules-scoreboards).